3804 Posvar Hall
- PhD, Agricultural and Applied Economics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 2010
- MA, Agricultural and Applied Economics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 2008
- BA, International Political Economy (Summa Cum Laude), Juniata College, 2005
Jeremy Weber is an Associate Professor whose teaching and research relate to the Energy and Environment Major. After graduating summa cum laude in International Political Economy from Juniata College, Weber spent a year conducting field research in rural Peru with the support of the Fulbright program. He then began his graduate studies and in 2010 earned his Ph.D. in Agricultural and Applied Economics at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. After working on short-term project for the World Bank, Weber joined the USDA Economic Research Service in August of 2010. While based in Washington Weber taught as an adjunct faculty member for the Master’s Program in Applied Economics at Johns Hopkins University. Weber joined the faculty of the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs in the fall of 2014. To date, he has published more than twenty articles in journals such as the Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, the Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, and the American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
- Quantitative Methods, U.S. Energy Policy, Energy Production and the Local Economy, Environmental Economics and Policy
Energy and Natural Resource Economics, Agricultural Economics, Development Economics
- Oil and gas extraction, property values, and economic growth
- Managing natural resource and land wealth
- Economic sustainability
- Agricultural policy
- “Local labor markets and natural resources: A synthesis of the literature” with J. Marchand, Journal of Economic Surveys32(2): 469-490, 2018.
- “When Externalities Are Taxed: The Effects and Incidence of Pennsylvania's Impact Fee on Shale Gas Wells” with K. Black and S. McCoy, Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economics, 2018.
- "Local labor markets and natural resources: A synthesis of the literature" with J. Marchand, Journal of Economic Surveys, 2018.
- "Capturing Rents from Natural Resources Abundance: Private Royalties from U.S. Onshore Oil and Gas Production" with J. Brown and T. Fitzgerald, Resource and Energy Economics 46: 23-38, 2016.
- “A Quantitative Description of State-Level Taxation of Oil and Gas Production in the Continental U.S.” with Yongsheng Wang and Maxwell Chomas, Energy Policy 96: 289-301, 2016.
- “Does Federal Crop Insurance Make Environmental Externalities from Agriculture Worse?” with N. Key and E. O’Donoghue, Journal of the Association of Environmental and Resource Economists 3(3): 707-742, 2016.
- “Broadening Benefits from Natural Resource Extraction: Housing Values and Taxation of Natural Gas Wells as Property”, with J.W. Burnett and I.M. Xiarchos, Journal of Policy Analysis and Management 35(3): 587-614, 2016.
- “What Can We Learn About Shale Gas Development from Land Values? Opportunities, Challenges, and Evidence from Texas and Pennsylvania” with C. Hitaj, Review of Agricultural and Resource Economics 44(2): 40-58, 2015.
- “Crop Prices, Agricultural Revenues, and the Rural Economy” with C. Wall, J. Brown, and T. Hertz, Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, 37(3)" 459-476, 2015.
- “Leveraging Wealth from Farmland Appreciation: Borrowing, Land Ownership, and Farm Expansion” with N. Key. Land Economics with N. Key, Land Economics 91(2): 344-361, 2014.
- “Do Wealth Gains from Land Appreciation Cause Farmers to Expand Acreage or Buy Land?” with N. Key. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 96(5): 1334-1348, 2014.
- “Rural Wealth Creation and Emerging Energy Industries: Lease and Royalty Payments to Farms” with J. Pender and J. Brown. In Rural Wealth Creation, Eds. J. Pender, B. Johnson, M. Fannin, Routledge, 2014.
- “A Decade of Natural Gas Development: The Makings of a Resource Curse?” Resource and Energy Economics, 37: 168-183, 2014.
- “Sustainable Rural Development and Wealth Creation: Five Observations Based on Emerging Energy Opportunities” with J. Pender and J. Brown. Economic Development Quarterly 25(1): 73-86, 2014.
- “Who Does Not Respond to the Agricultural Resource Management Survey and Does It Matter?” with D. Clay. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 95(3): 755-771, 2013.
- “The Effects of a Natural Gas Boom on Employment and Income in Colorado, Texas, and Wyoming” Energy Economics 34: 1580-1588, 2012.
- “Social Learning and Technology Adoption: The Case of Coffee Pruning in Peru” Agricultural Economics 43: 73-84, 2012.
- “How Much Do Decoupled Payments Affect Production? An Instrumental Variable Approach with Panel Data” with N. Key. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 94(1): 52-66, 2012.
- “The Economic Sustainability of Certified Coffee: Recent Evidence from Mexico and Peru” with B. Barham. World Development 40(6): 1269-1279, 2012.
- “Fair Trade-Organic Coffee Cooperatives, Migration, and Secondary Schooling in Southern Mexico” with S. Gitter, B. Barham, M. Callenes, and J. Lewis. Journal of Development Studies 48(3), 445-463, 2012.
- “Do ICDPs Work? An Empirical Evaluation of Forest-Based Microenterprises in the Brazilian Amazon” with E.O. Sills, S.K. Pattanayak, and S. Bauch. Land Economics 84(4): 645-681, 2011.
- “How Much More Do Growers Receive for Fair Trade-Organic Coffee?” Food Policy 36(2): 678-685, 2011.
- “Fair Trade/Organic Coffee, Rural Livelihoods, and the 'Agrarian Question': Southern Mexican Coffee Families in Transition” with B. Barham, M. Callenes, S. Gitter, and J. Lewis. World Development 39(1): 134-145, 2011.
Work in Progress
Consultancies, Public Service, and Awards/Honors
- Member of the National Academy of Sciences (Committee on National Statistics) panel to review data collection and measurement by U.S. Department of Agriculture National Agricultural Statistics Service and Economic Research Service
- Steering-Committee Member of the NSF-funded Research Coordination Network on the impacts of energy production (2015-current).
Consultant, Development Economics Group, World Bank
- Collaborating Researcher, Amazon Institute of People and the Environment (Imazon), Belem, Brazil
- Reviewer for Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Resource Economics, American Economic Review, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Contemporary Economic Policy, Ecological Economics, Energy Policy, Energy Technology, European Review of Agricultural Economics, Finnish Economic Papers, Food Policy, Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Journal of Econometrics, Journal of Human Resources, Journal of Regional Science, Regional Science and Urban Economics, Resource and Energy Economics, Review of Regional Studies, World Development, World Bank Economic Review.
- Outstanding Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy Article: “Crop Prices, Agricultural Revenues, and the Rural Economy” (with C. Wall, J. Brown, and T. Hertz).
- Faculty Fellowship in Sustainability, University of Pittsburgh Mascaro Center for Sustainable Innovation
- Henry C. Taylor Doctoral Dissertation Award, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- U.S. Dept. of Education Foreign Language Area Studies Fellowship – Portuguese
- Helen Firstbrook Franklin Fellowship – UW Latin American Studies
- Fulbright Grantee – Peru
Other Faculty and Academic Administration Positions
- Secondary appointment, Department of Economics, University of Pittsburgh, 2014-
- Adjunct Faculty, Johns Hopkins University, 2013