3427 Posvar Hall
- PhD, Political Science, Stanford University, 1975.
- MA, Regional Studies of the Soviet Union, Harvard University, 1966.
- BA, Political Science, Smith College, 1964.
Teaching and Research Areas
Public and nonprofit human resources management, management of international organizations, public administration theory, administrative reform (American and comparative), impact of enlargement on the European Commission.
Select Publications and Funded Research
- Management and Culture in an Enlarged European Commission: Unity in Diversity? Palgrave Macmillan, forthcoming 2013.
- “Hiring in the Federal Government: Balancing Technical, Managerial, and Political Imperatives,” in Norma Riccucci, ed. Public Personnel Public Personnel Management: Current Concerns, Future Challenges, 5th ed. Longman, 2011.
- “The Changing Roles of the Human Resources Office,” coauthored with Charles Gossett, in Steve Condrey, ed., Handbook of Human Resource Management in Government, 3rd ed. Jossey-Bass, 2010.
- «Intégrer la "maison" communautaire. L'arrivée au sein de la Commission des directeurs issus des nouveaux Etats membres, » (English title : Coming into the House : the Arrival in the European Commission of Directors from the New Member States), Revue française d’administration publique, June, 2010.
- “Reforming the Staffing Process in the European Union Institutions: Moving the Sacred Cow out of the Road,” International Review of Administrative Sciences, 76,1, March, 2010.
- Fulbright-Schuman fellowship, for research on the European Commission, with visiting status at the Public Management Institute, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium, 2009.
Consultancies, Public Service, and Awards/Honors
- President, National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration, 2001-2002.
- Fellow, National Academy of Public Administration, 1997.
- Consultant, The Academy of Management and the Market, Russia, 1995-1996.
- Chair, Section on Personnel and Labor Relations, American Society of Public Administration, 1994-1995.
Other Faculty and Academic Administration Positions
- Visiting Professor, Institut d’Etudes europeenne, Universite libre de Bruxelles, 2006-2007.
- Dean, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs, University of Pittsburgh, 1997-2006.