George W. Dougherty
3217 Posvar Hall
- PhD, University of Georgia, 2000
- MA, University of Georgia, 1995
- BS, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1992
Teaching and Research Areas
Local government finance (budget, gap-closing methods, affects of GASB 34 on citizen understanding, regional approaches to finance), court administration (trust and confidence in courts, judges as managers) and public participation in administrative processes (service on public boards, political culture).
Select Publications and Funded Research
- Dougherty, George W. and Meagan Van Gelder. 2013. Public Agency Hiring, Minimum Qualifications, and Experience. Review of Public Personnel Administration.
- Dougherty, George W., Larkin Dudley, and Margaret Stout. 2013. Citizen Advisory Bodies in Rural Coal Country Municipalities: Mechanisms for aligning Elected, Administrative, and Citizen Action? Kettering Foundation
- Van Gelder, Meagan and George W. Dougherty. 2012. Do Students with Experience know THAT much more? Assessing In-Service and Pre-service Differences in Public Administration Students. Journal of Public Affairs Education.
- Dougherty, George W. Jr. and Jenni Easton. 2011. Appointed Public Volunteer Boards: Exploring the Basics of Citizen Participation through Boards and Commissions. Revised manuscript resubmitted to American Review of Public Administration.
- Dougherty, George W. 2011. A Place for Undergraduate Public Administration. Journal of Public Affairs Education.
- Dougherty, George W., Jr. and David Y. Miller. 2010. Municipal Managers: Regional Champions or Agents of Parochialism. Journal of Public Affairs Education.
- Study on Municipal Deficit Rate in the Pittsburgh Region, 2008
- “Acting Like We Own It: Citizen Participation on Municipal Boards,” The State of Democracy in Western Pennsylvania, Wherret Lecture Series, 2007.
- Co-authored with Stefanie Lindquist and Mark Bradbury. “Evaluating Performance in State and Judicial Institutions,” State and Local Government Review 38 no. 3 (2007).
- GSPIA Small Grants Program, “Terrorism, Preparation, and Public Health in Rural Pennsylvania,” 2005.
- Co-authored with J. Randolph Beck and Mark Bradbury. “Race and the Georgia Court: Implications for the Georgia
- Public Trust and Confidence Survey for Batson v. Kentucky and its Progeny,” 37 Georgia Law Review 1021 (2003).
- Co-authored with Cody W. Lyon. “State Efforts in Voting Reform: How Georgia Got It Right,” PA Times (March 2003).
- Co-authored with Cody W. Lyon. “Georgia Counts: Voter Education and Poll Worker Training,” PA Times (April 2003).
Consultancies, Public Service, and Awards/Honors
- PA Department of Community and Economic Development’s Early Intervention Program for the following governments: Ambridge Borough, City of Butler, City of Erie, City of Meadville, City of New Castle, Oil City, City of Titusville, Lawrence County, and Venango County
- American Society for Public Administration
- Association for Public Policy and Management
- Georgia Political Science Association
- Georgia Tech’s Internet Public Policy Project (IP3)
- Redeemer Presbyterian Church (Deacon)
- Sigma Chi Fraternity
- Winterville Library Advisory Board
- North Georgia Community Foundation, Nonprofit Network Advisory Board
Other Faculty and Academic Administration Positions
- MPPM Coordinator, GSPIA
- Undergraduate Public Service Coordinator, GSPIA
- Assistant Professor, Public Policy, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Director, Master of Public Administration Program, Piedmont College
- Owner, Evaluation Resources
- Research Coordinator, Carl Vinson Institute of Government, Applied Research, University of Georgia
- Job Coach, Athens Regional Office, Georgia Division of Rehabilitation Services