- PhD, Public Policy, University of California, Berkely, 1977
- MPP, Public Policy, University of California, Berkely, 1974
- AB, Government, Harvard University, 1968
Teaching and Research Areas
Policy analysis, evaluation, government regulation of health and safety risks, health policy.
Select Publications and Funded Research
- “Thirty-Five Years of OSHA Enforcement: What Have We Learned?” Annual Meeting of the International Association of Labour Inspectorates. April 2007.
- “Should We Discuss Harmful Medical Errors to Patients, and if so, How?” 16th Annual Medical Ethics Update, Messer Memorial Lecture. March 2007.
- With Kilkon Ko and Wayne Gray. “Does Compliance at Establishments Inspected by OSHA Improve Over Time?” Law and Society Association Annual Research Meeting. July 2006.
Consultancies, Public Service, and Awards/Honors
- U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration on evaluation of enforcement policies, analysis of new health and safety standards, and design of data systems.
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of policy Analysis and Management.
- Member, Advisory Board, Harvard Center for Risk Analysis.
Public Program Evaluation
Other Faculty and Academic Administration Positions
- Director, Center for Health and Safety in the Workplace, RAND Corporation, 2007-Present
- Visiting Scholar, Center for the Study and Improvement of Regulation, Carnegie Mellon University, 2003-2004
- Joint Appointments with Graduate School of Public Health and School of Law, University of Pittsburgh, 1993-Present