Albert De Amicis
- Masters in Public Policy and Management, University of Pittsburgh, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs, 2003
- B.S. Human Resource Management, 2000
- A.A.S., General Studies, Community College of Allegheny County, 1997
My name is Albert Paul De Amicis. Presently, I teach as an Adjunct Faculty for the University of Pittsburgh’s Graduate School of Public and International.
I was employed at the Allegheny County Bureau of Corrections for 29 years. I retired there on June 30, 2004. This correctional facility is located at 950 Second Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15219. Prior to my retirement, I was the 7-3 Assistant Shift Commander and held the rank of Captain. During my tenure at the Allegheny County Bureau of Corrections, I was tasked to develop, coordinate and author the Emergency Preparedness Emergency Plan for the new Allegheny Jail. During my tenure there, I held positions as the Correctional Emergency Response Team Leader, Director of Training and. Director of Classification, Intake and Booking.
With regard to my educational background, I have a Master’s Degree in Public Policy and Management, from the Graduate School of Public and International Affairs at the University of Pittsburgh. I began pursuing a second Masters in Public and International Affairs again from the University of Pittsburgh’s Graduate School of Public and International Affairs. My Field of Study: Security and Intelligence Studies. My expected completion date is December 2010
Teaching and Research Areas
Criminal Justice, Corrections: Special Prison Management Populations (Restrictive Housing Units (RHU), and Special Needs Units (SNU), and Prison Gangs), Ethical Dilemmas in the Prison System, Suicide inside Correctional Facilities, and Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs (OMGs).
Select Publications and Funded Research
- De Amicis, A.P. (December 2006). Violence Inside. American Criminal Association Lambda Alpha Epsilon LAE Journal, ISSN No. 1094-8481, pp-28-30
- De Amicis, A.P. (2005, November/December). An Ethical Dilemma in Corrections: Sexual Misconduct by Male Correctional Officers on Female Prisoners, American Jails, pp-77-82
- De Amicis, A.P. (2000, September/October). Allegheny County Bureau of Corrections College Program, American Jails, pp-67-68
Consultancies, Public Service, and Awards/Honors
- Professional Development Award, Allegheny County Bureau of Corrections, 2003
- Meritorious and Professional Development Award, Allegheny County Bureau of Corrections, 1999
- Variety Club of Pittsburgh Award for Law Enforcement Officer of the Year, 1995
- AJ 1300 Introduction to Corrections
Other Faculty and Academic Administration Positions
- Faculty, University of Phoenix, Robinson Campus, March 2004-present