GSPIA, like the University of Pittsburgh as a whole, is proud of its role in educating our country’s veterans and active-duty service members. Each year, many students with military experience enroll at GSPIA, bringing their unique perspectives to the classroom and preparing themselves for high-level military or civilian careers. There are many support services available to students with a military background and their families.
On-campus Military Support Services
- The University of Pittsburgh participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, offering financial support to eligible veterans in partnership with the VA. The University also sponsors a fully staffed Office of Veterans Services on-campus. For more on the Office of Veterans Services and the Yellow Ribbon Program, visit www.veterans.pitt.edu.
- GSPIA has long been a school of choice for students in the US Army’s Foreign Area Officer (FAO) program. Numerous FAOs have enrolled in GSPIA’s accelerated mid-career degree, the Master of Public Policy & Management (MPPM), which can be completed in one year or less. Officers required to have a regional specialization may focus their studies on Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Western Europe, or Latin America. The MPPM is one of the most prestigious academic programs that fits the Army’s strict time and content guidelines for FAO work.
- Active-duty military personnel with orders stationing them at the University of Pittsburgh typically receive in-state tuition rates. Active-duty Army personnel funded by the Advanced Civil Schooling (ACS) program should inquire about adjustments to meet low-cost school tuition rates, if necessary.
- The University of Pittsburgh and neighboring Carnegie Mellon University are home to Air Force, Army, and Navy ROTC units, which occasionally hire GSPIA students and alumni as instructors.
Off-campus Military Support Service
Most basic military support facilities are available in the Pittsburgh Area.
- Military Lodging. An Air Force Inn is available on the Pittsburgh IAP Air Reserve Station in Coraopolis (about 20 miles east of Pittsburgh): (www.dodlodging.net).
- Medical Care. FAOs are supported by TRICARE Prime Remote in Pittsburgh, (www.tricare.osd.mil). In addition, the VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System has a facility adjacent to the University’s campus. (www.pittsburgh.va.gov). The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) system is one of the top medical systems in the country
- PX. A limited exchange with Class VI and barber shop is located on the former CE Kelly Field Support Center in Oakdale, PA. This facility will move to the Air Reserve Station in the near future. www.aafes.com
- Commissary. A small commissary on the former CE Kelly Field Support Center in Oakdale, PA. This facility will move to the Air Reserve Station in the near future. www.commissaries.com
- Military ID Issuing Facility. Military IDs are issued on the Air Reserve Station. www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl
- DLPT. DLPTs may be administered by the 99th RRC Education Center. www.goarmyed.com
Distinguished GSPIA Military Alumni
- General Rosco Robinson, Jr - First African American to become an United States Army General four-star general
- General Arthur E. Brown - Vice Chief of Staff of the United States Army from 1987 to 1989
- Rear Admiral Alan D. Breed – United States Coast Guard