As Vice Provost for Global Affairs and Directory of the University Center for International Studies, Ariel is committed to advancing the University’s goal of Embracing the World. With a background in Latin American politics and a focus in our institution’s global efforts, he has had a key role in our robust international platform and dedication to global education.
Teaching and Research Areas
Armony's research is focused on four key areas:
- Civil society
- Human rights
- The role of China in Latin America
Select Publications and Funded Research
- The Global Edge: Miami in the Twenty-First Century. (University of California Press, 2018).
- The Dubious Link. (Stanford University Press, 2004).
- Argentina, the United States, and the Anti-Communist Crusade in Central America, 1977-1984. (Ohio University Press, 1997).
Other Academic Positions
- Director, University of Miami Center for Latin American Studies
- Director, Colby College Latin American Studies Program
- Fulbright Scholar, Nankai University, China