An expert in public policy, Dunn has worked for years to improve the way policymakers make decisions. Not only has he written policy papers for agencies at the national, state, and local levels, his new and expanded 5th edition of Public Policy Analysis (2012) is the most widely cited book on the subject.
Teaching and Research Areas
Dunn's research focuses on these key areas:
- Public policy analysis
- Research design and methods
- Quantitative and qualitative (mixed) methods
- Utilization of scientific and technical information by policy makers
Select Publications and Funded Research
- Public Policy Analysis: An Integrated Approach. 6th Ed. New York and London: Routledge Academic Publishers, 2018.
- “The Policymaking Process: Lasswell’s Unfinished Revolution.” In Hoppe and Colebatch (eds.), Handbook of Public Policy Analysis (New York: Edward Elgar, 2018, in press).
- “Problem Structuring in Public Policy Analysis.” Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Politics, Ed. B. Guy Peters. London and New York: Oxford University Press, 2018, in press.
Awards and Honors
- Chancellor's Spotlight Award for Excellence in Mentoring, September 2017.
- University of Pittsburgh Provost's Award for Excellence in Mentoring, April 2017.
- Honorary Member, NISPAcee, Conferred January 2017.
Consultancies and Public Service
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
- Center for International Private Enterprise
- The Council of State Governments
Other Faculty or Academic Positions
- President, Macedonian-American Chamber of Commerce, 2005-2006.
- Founding Director, University of Pittsburgh Center for Public Policy and Management (CPPM) in Southeast Europe, the Republic of Macedonia, 2002-2007.
- Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Graduate School of Public and International Affairs, 2008-2013.